Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Healthy vs Cheap

Today I decided to go to Whole Foods for a 'healthy' lunch. I haven't been in a while and when I got there I remember the reason why...not only are the lines awfully freightening, but the options are overwhelming! I finally decide to make my own rice and bean plate because they had delicious looking sweet plantains (mmm, plantains)...
Step1 - the inspiration is to be healthy so I go for brown rice and add a little barley and wheatberries...Step2 - the beans...they are beautiful looking black beans that didn't look canned, these looked fresh...Step3 - the mouth watering plantains piled on to hopefully supress my sweet tooth from jumping into the kitchen for a kit kat later on...and finally Step4 - some grilled chicken just for fun.
At this point the plate was super heavy and I was extremely nervous to see what Mr Cash Register had to share with me...ends up it was $12!!! $12 for rice, beans and plantains! I only had 3 tiny peices of chicken! I was sooo annoyed!!!
Then I realized...I could have gone across the street to the Spanish restaurant and get a half of chicken, full plate of spanish rice, beans and plantains for $6 - and it would last me 2 days! Not only the price difference - but this "healthly' version is dry, flavorless and gross.
So why did I stop going to Whole Foods for lunch? oh yeah, easy to remember - it is overwhelming, has long lines, and is SUPER EXPENSIVE!!! (and not to mention it's only been a few minutes since I'm done eating and I'm hungry again...totally not satisfying...awesome...time to go get that kit kat).


2 comments: