Thursday, October 29, 2009

Burrito Bol 2


I think I can say without hyperbole that today was the most roundabout trip to Chipotle of my life.

The plan was to make up for lost time this lunch break with the love of my life, Boston Market. Upon arrival, I saw that the line was out the door, and BM was not in the cards for me today.

When hungry and listless on 8th & 23rd, my mind automatically goes to Kofoo. This turned out to be an even worse option, as there were at least 10 confused looking people ahead of me in that tiny little restaurant. My social phobia kicked in, and with "Terrible Lie" filling my headphones, I fled.

It is in moments like these that I usually fall under the spell of Pita Grill. Remembering a couple unfavorable posts on this very blog pertaining to PG, I knew that that would be a foolish choice.

I had little choice but to go to Chipotle. The odds were certainly against me--the line had almost lapped itself when i got there, and there was a man dressed in tinfoil standing outside the door trying to interview people. I took a moment to reassure myself of the efficiency of the Chipotle employees and my own uncanny ability to awkwardly ignore freaks, and I stepped inside.

I am not going to lie--the atmosphere in Chipotle was frantic. The line moved more slowly than usual, partially due to bottlenecks in service and partially due to people in line not paying attention when a 4-foot gap has opened up in front of them. It is possible that some thought me guilty of the latter, as when I am lined up at the door, I always leave a gap in front of me so that people may enter and exit comfortably. It should be noted that do the same when driving.

By the time I got to the counter to construct my burrito bol, the employees were downright manic. Several had veins in their foreheads that were in danger of bursting. The process was so rushed that I was not even warned that my guacamole would cost extra. I then laughed to myself, imagining throwing a fit over the price ("nobody told me it was extra!!").

As a meal though, a burrito bol can hardly be beat. My meat of choice is carnitas (shredded pork). It practically melts in your mouth. I also would be tempted to try to order just a bowl of their rice. It is consistently delicious.

I learned a lot about myself today. Some good. Some bad. Did I eat lunch, or did lunch eat me? We may never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment